PDD-NOS...So Many Letters, Not Enough Info

When Dr.L first presented this term to me in regards to Logan my response was

"Huh?"

Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) is a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), also called an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). PDD-NOS is one of three forms of Autism Spectrum Disorders. PDD-NOS is often called atypical autism. 

Still confused?

PDD-NOS is considered to be a "milder" form of Autism, sounds like a range for a Pepper or Salsa. I see it as a twinkle in the vast Autism Spectrum. I had the question asked to me who's son was recently diagnosed with PDD-NOS what it was exactly. Her doctor spoke to her in medical jargon and she needed the Mama version.

This is one of those diagnoses that stretches all over the Autism map. And sometimes it even isn't put on the Autism Spectrum, it holds it's own diagnosis. 

The two main components (if you will) are social functioning skills and communication skills. This diagnosis usually doesn't present itself until preschool age. Logan is always eager to communicate and form friendships with his peers just some times he doesn't know how to. He has become much more social since I began homeschooling and interacts beautifully with his friends but when we get out in to the public it changes. If he is feeling extremely uncomfortable his eye contact is out the window and he begins to speak very softly. When an adult is experiencing this they may be thinking 

What a disrespectful kid! 

These are scenarios that Phil and I immediately address, well not in the store but once we get in the car, we want to bring to his attention that he needs to try to make a conscious effort which we know is difficult but he needs to be aware of it. 

Behavior traits with PDD-NOS range from repetitiveness to restrictiveness.

When Logan gets stuck on one topic ie. Lord of the Rings, the universe, a specific television show or atoms we will hear about it 24/7 which can wear on a person and there are times when we attempt to divert the conversation in another direction. 

The next question I was asked was

Why isn't there a whole lot of information about PDD-NOS?

This is where us as parents need to step in and spread the awareness, share our experiences so others who have similar diagnoses or experiences don't feel alone. Logan always seems to have diagnoses that the doctor will say

This isn't common

or

He's an enigma

The three things I can share with you are this

Educate!
Educate!
Educate!
(did I mention educate?)

Educate yourself, educate others and educate the world!

I can't even tell you how many articles and books (Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome: Different Sensory Experiences, Different Perceptual Worlds by Olga Bogdashina)  
 I have read, how many movies (Temple Grandin amazing!) or television shows I have watched. We are entering in our 5th year since his unofficial official diagnosis and every day I learn something new or Logan will have a fresh new physical quirk and we learn all about it and embrace it. I never use it as a crutch or excuse and I am that mother who pushes her child no matter what because I know he can do it and you know what when he does something as small but huge to us he thanks me for "making" him do it.

Autism Spectrum, PDD-NOS, Sensory Processing Disorder these are just pieces of him NOT the whole, not who he is. Each child is their own individual no matter what that diagnosis is. 

Like Logan says

Autism doesn't define me, just call me Logan 


 

Do you have any books or movies to recommend? Do you find there is limited information on PDD-NOS?
Thoughts?





2 comments: