You Don't Look Like A Homeschool Mom

In my 3 years of homeschooling I have never had a conversation like this before:

Woman: You don't look like you are a homeschool mom.

Me: What do you mean?

Woman: Aren't homeschool moms simple looking?

*simple has two meanings so I needed clarification*

Me: When you say simple....

Woman: No make-up, skirts, hair in a bun or back, not like this."

She motions her finger up and down at me. And it dawned on me, she's describing Michelle Duggar! 
Now I don't dislike the Duggars but I am not a fan either, their show is a little too gushy for my taste but hey, they can afford and take care of their brood then whatever floats their procreating boat, who am I to judge but I don't know about this comparing homeschool mamas to Michelle Duggar.

Me: So because I am wearing jeans, a sweater, my hair is down and I have make-up on I don't fit the homeschool mom mold for you?

Woman: Well, yes, I guess,

She was becoming uncomfortable but she just kept digging and I let her; it's entertaining.

I thought homeschool moms were very religious, carry a Bible with them, wear crosses and don't wear labels, isn't that against who you are?

Me: Who do you think I am exactly? We just meant a few minutes ago and you have already made up your mind of who you think I am and who you think other homeschool mothers are and how they should dress and act; let me ask you this, are you a mother, do you have children and if so do they attend school?

Woman: I have two young kids, 15 months and 4 years old, my 4 year old goes to preschool.

Me: So your perception of homeschool is what you see in the news or on TLC who also show people eating paint as an addiction and women not knowing they are pregnant and squatting babies out in the toilet. Are you married?

Woman: Ugh, what does that matter?

Me: Are you?

Woman: No, we will someday.

Me: Unmarried mother of two living with her boyfriend, you don't look like someone like that.

At this point the blood has drained from her face as I motion my finger at her.

Me: Perception can be dangerous, be careful what you say to people because unlike Michelle Duggar I'm not that nice.

I am pretty sure she will NEVER do that again. I'm just here to educate those who have this vision of what homeschool families should look like. We all have our reasons for homeschooling, we all come from different walks of life and if you don't like how society labels you don't slap one on someone else because though I may not smack people with my Bible He has definitely armed me with quick wit and common sense which seems to be lacking now days. 

Has this ever happened to you? What was your response? Do you feel homeschool moms have a certain persona? 

9 comments:

  1. Oh that's funny. Yes, there are many of us sarcastic home schooling moms in America today. :)

    I do think there is still a stigma or persona, but it's getting better. My own sister in law was shocked that as a public school teacher I would want to home school. My response? "Ummm that's exactly WHY I want to home school." And now she is sending hers to Catholic school, not public school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BWHAHAHA!!! I can soooo see you doing that! I love you, Duggarrette!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for answering people's questions about homeschooling but really? It was so weird! But I shouldn't be so surprised because I get this kind of reaction all the time. I mean, I'm venturing to Target and Publix today and I get hit up with a ton of questions some that I answer a little snarky (me?). Well, if these people didn't exist who would I blog about? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this part of the world, I am definitely a curiosity. My answers are pretty funny, but.. It has been interesting to see how many people have come back a few years later and asked how they can get started homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I see her I will have to sprinkle Holy Water on her;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl! You nailed it. I have been known to say what I mean and mean what I say and my husband tell me [laughing histerically], "I can't believe you said that". But, you rocked this one. I used to beat myself up because I wasn't as nice as Michelle Duggar. Now I know that God gave me honesty to protect my self and those I love. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I have gotten older my filter has diminished and frankly I am getting sick of the same ignorant comments every time I venture out in public during a week day. It's the same thing when people say "He doesn't look Autistic." Seriously? And that has actually happened to me at an Autism group function but that's for another post ha! People need to learn the word "tact".

    ReplyDelete
  8. classic response!! I love how you handled that. I am not exactly a Duggar fan, and I certainly don't fit THAT particular homeschool mom stereotype either. Drives me nuts that people think all homeschoolers wear denim jumpers, have their hair in a bun, and dress all 13 of their children alike. Sheesh.

    Oh, and I am not half as nice as Michelle Duggar either. Bless her heart. LOL

    ReplyDelete